Friday, August 15, 2008

Go! Be Free!

The black mother understands that her child must go out into the world. They can not stay at home forever.

So, she's going through the phase where she needs more responsibility but believes that she should be free to surf the web and watch television all day. I refuse to allow that to happen, so things have been pretty much hectic between she and I. I'd like her to continue reading and writing during her free time even though she doesn't understand my reasoning.

She's a good girl, but not immune to our society like I'd like her to be. Gosh, I hate the fact that her self-esteem is constantly being threatened at every corner and there isn't anything I can do. She has to learn all of this shit out on her own. No assistance, very little support. But right now she believes the world is huge, and open for the taking.

My heart hurts for her and this world. So I remain firm. I must remain confident in my raising of her. It is necessary. I will not always be here but what I leave with her is strength and my devoted love. That has to be enough because it is all I have to give her...my gift.

2 comments:

MangoButtahQueen said...

Geez... I feel your pain. I got my 15 year old and it took his father to mediate for us last year in order for our relationship to get better. I am an authoritarian in my house so not much gets past me concerning my children. But... However, I was also told that I need to start letting go too. Easier said than done. Cause I know what's out there. And, it ain't pretty by any means.

I'm beginning to slowly learn one of the true meanings of "having faith" is. My sons are the most precious beings in my life. To let them go after all the time spent prepping them for this world is harrowing at times.

But you've got to at some point. Now I know how my late mother must have felt.

Anonymous said...

Mothers around the world can find something to relate to on here. It takes alot of courage,dedication,
perserverance and patience to be a mother in this world.