Sunday, August 24, 2008

Like Rain When She Speaks


A black woman will take whatever rain will come her way.

Me and my oldest daughter haven't really seen eye to eye in about a month, but all of that changed today. She needed help with her fraction worksheet this evening and with my help we were able to get most of it done. I'll admit there were three different problems that caused me hell and I left those for her to work out with her teacher tomorrow. But we sat at that dining room table and went back and forth until we solved the rest of them. When we were finished and she started cleaning gathering her work together, I saw that grateful smile find its way on her face.

She was relieved that she had someone to shoulder the work with. She stunk of being "appreciative." And afterwards we sat on the sofa and shared a pint of "Rocky Road" ice cream. And no one was walking on "egg shells," trying NOT to upset the other. Instead I just took it all in. While she talked and shared, I listened... and passed the spoon.

I needed that tonight. It's been a tough few weeks in my home, and even with all of the Indian Sage I've been burning and applying to the physical, she and I have been missing each other. I miss her. I love her but she is getting older... and I am too, for that matter.

Our sharing was equivalent to when it rains in the desert. Long over due, necessary, and brief. However, I got what I needed and I am sure she feels the same way. It is enough for now. I am grateful for tonight. I feel rained upon. Showered upon.

A black mother will take whatever she can get from her children, when she can get it ---especially while her children are searching for themselves. She will not push, but be firm and gentle. Supportive and loving.

Already I miss her
she has begun preparing for her departure.
her time is coming
much like the horizon
it is not a long ways off.

I loved her even more today.

No comments: