Monday, August 25, 2008

Raise A Well Balanced Child

A black woman will play with and entertain her children at her own expense.

During the hours of 9-5 pm, I am working on stories, poems, and blogs, amongst a whole host of other things including being a mother. This morning around 10:30am my son wanted to go outside and play. I had no "real" problem with this request except I was in the middle of constructing a great sentence for a great story.

So I did what most people would do. I jumped up after saving my story, and spent the next two and a half hours playing wall ball, dancing, drawing on the ground, laughing, and making a fool of myself with my son. I had a blast.

He's a really great dancer. He jumps up in the air, shakes his butt from side to side and looks back at me to make sure I am following suit.

"Come on, mommy!"

We played until it was almost time to pick up my daughter from school.

We played in the shade of 105 weather, within inches of a gallon of iced cold water. I took several drinks, my son preferred small sips followed by one large swallow. His mouth is not yet large enough to hold greater amounts.

He's pleasant too. I enjoyed our
day out on my patio. In this photo here, he is making me work for this shot. I had a hard time getting him to stay still and not walk all over the place but you could never tell.

I eventually got back to my story. I eventually got back to that sentence and it turned out great.

A black mother loves her children. PERIOD!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me smile, too many times I have been in the middle of something and my girl will say play with me Mama. Sometimes you get frustrated but often I find if you live in the momemt and hang with them, it feels great and yes you can get back to your work.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to read a blog about a woman who's happy with her life. I wish you were the rule instead of the exception. Great Post!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the overall atmosphere. Keep up the good work ;-)