Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Why this issue?

In the world of blogs, thoughts and opinions, many communities believe the black woman's voice is silent, especially when it comes to writing about their personal experiences as mothers.

However, we know that just because someone's voice is not loud does not mean they have no feeling. Or in this case, devotion and care is lacking; especially since the books we base our basic knowledge of history out of (History books) tells us a rather different story.

In the books I've read the black woman was a mother, nurse, provider and friend to almost all of the children she was forced to care for AND that she had to be perfect at whatever she did, especially child rearing or there would be dire consequences. Right? So most of us will probably agree that she was damn near perfect.

And what about the children she gave birth to, you ask? Well, that story is in the history books as well, my friend.

So back to the issue at hand. I wanted to share with you the reason I decided to write about a black woman's love for her child? It's really quite simple; she love her children.

Then why doesn't she write about it? Because she's never looked at it as something to be proud of or boast about.

Now, in return for these stories I'd like for you to try and keep and open mind...that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mothering is in our souls, I believe. My own Mama died 4 years ago but she was mothering her grown children until she drew her last breath.

While I want to see more of us share our stories, part of me knows the reason we don't is because those stories live in our souls and we pass it on to our kids.

I look forward to seeing more of your stories.