Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hate being the bad guy? So does the black mother.

A black woman's love for her child will cast her in a bad light at times. But, she's willing to play the bad guy when it's in the best interest of her child.

I limit the amount of television my children can watch on a daily basis. I'm trying to graduate to where we only have one television in our house. It's not easy because my husband loves watching television. So does every other member in his family. However in his defense, he comes from great stock...lol!

Now back to the issue at hand.

There are times when my children cut their eyes at me when it's time to do chores, but I understand most children hate doing chores. I don't get too upset because as adults they'll be grateful.

The difficulties come when me and my mother-in-law do not see eye to eye on the same issue. I really wish she was more supportive of me as a mother but there will be time in the future for that. Right now I stand my own ground. Her position is the GRAND mother. She has that title for a reason. And one day (God willing) I'll also be able to wear that title, but right now I am simply a mother. And what I say goes. Period.

For me parenting is not a popularity contest. I am not looking for the quickest way into my children's heart. I don't have to prove myself to my children or try to be their best friend. Like my mother-in-law's support, all of that will come in due time. Right now I am here to teach them the ways of the world. My job includes teaching my children how to survive, how to take time out for themselves, how to speak from their souls, and how to maintain their sanity in this materialistic world. I can not do that if I cave in every time one of them asks for something new when they have NOT proven that they can take care of what they already own.

So I'll play the bad guy for now. Why not? I'm strong enough to endure my children angry looks, their comments, and anything else they throw upon me.

A black woman's love for her child will sometimes portray her in a bad light, but she learns to deal with it. Why? Because it is still light.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just amen sista.I know I used to cut my eyes at my Mom too, but now that I am grown with my own kids and my Mom is passed, you can best believe I am grateful for all that she taught me.

I love my kids and hope that they will one day consider me their friends but that's not my job at the moment. Great post!